On 18 December 2018 US President Donald Trump ordered the creation of space command a new organisational structure within the Pentagon that will have overall control of military space operations. the space command will be separate from Donald trump goal to build an entirely new branch of the military call space force.
Although it is being labelled as a significant step in that direction. in an executive memorandum to Defence Secretary James Mattis trumps order the establishment of the United State space command as a functional unified combatant command. He also directed the Defence Secretary to recommend officers for the presidential nomination and Senate confirmation as commander and Deputy commander of the new Space command.
According to vice president Mike Pence, the new us command with integrate space capabilities across all branches of the military. he said it will develop space Doctrine, tactics, techniques and procedures that will enable U.S warfighters to defend the country in this new era. It will be known as SpaceCom and will be the Pentagon 11th combatant command along with other 11th well-known commands including Central command and Europe command.
United State Space Force/Command
- Pentagon’s 11th combatant command, to be known as SpaceCom.
- To oversee, organize space operations, accelerate technical advances and find effective ways to defend U.S. assets in space.
- Assets include satellites for navigation, communications and surveillance.
- Space Command likely to pull about 600 staff from existing military space offices, add at least 1,000 more in coming years.
- Likely to take form in Colorado
- Funding for SpaceCom to be included in the budget for the fiscal year 2020.
U.S Space Command Revived
- The US had a Space Command from 1985-2002 and disbanded after 9/11 terror attacks.
- U.S. Northern Command established to focus on the defence of the homeland.
- Functions of Space Command were absorbed by U.S. Strategic Command
- Air Force Space Command retained lead role in space.
- Vice president Mike Pence said it will become the sixth branch of the US military by 2020 and heralded an era of American national security in space.
What Is Space Force?
- The military branch that conducts space warfare.
- Focus on national security.
- Preserving satellites, vehicles dedicated to international communications & observation.
What does Will Do The U.S. Space force?
- Global surveillance for missile targeting.
- Targeting & tracking against advanced missile threats.
- Alternate positioning, navigation for GPS-denied environment.
- Global and near-real-time space situational awareness.
- Development of deterrent capability.
- Responsive & common ground-based space support infrastructure.
- Artificial intelligence-enabled global surveillance.
History Of Space Force
- The U.S has been for long looking to militarized space with its space force program it started 35 years ago during the cold war with the US Star Wars program. in March 1983 then US President Ronald Regan proposed the strategic defence initiative that would construct a space-based anti Missile system to defend the US from incoming Soviet ballistic missiles. Ronald Regan allotted to billion dollars for the project.
- Over two-decade later former US President George W Bush authorised and new Space policy setting difference as its mean priority.
What U.S Space Policy Says
- The U.S. will preserve rights, capabilities, and freedom of action in space.
- It will dissuade or deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so.
The U.S Space Force Major Timeline
- 1999: US Senator Bob Smith entertained the idea of a space force.
- In 2000: Donald Rumsfeld suggested making a Space Corps within the Air Force.
- In 2017: Proposal for a U.S. Space Corps made.
- In 2017: U.S. Space Corps proposed as a separate service within the Air Force.
About Russian Space Forces
- In Aug 1992: Created as an arm of Russian Armed Forces.
- They worked with the Russian Federal Space Agency.
- Dissolved in July 1997, incorporated
- into Strategic Missile Troops
- June 2001: Reformed as an independent troop
- Dec 2011: Replaced by Russian Aerospace Defence Forces
About China Space Force
- 2015: China established the People’s Liberation Army Strategic Support Force.
- PLASSF: Cyber, space, and electronic-warfare service branch of Chinese Army.